When to see a doctor

See your doctor if your child or you are distressed by hair loss and want to pursue treatment to stop it. Also talk to your doctor if you notice sudden or patchy hair loss or more than usual hair loss when combing or washing your or your child’s hair. Sudden hair loss can signal an underlying medical condition that requires treatment.